How Do WiFi Extenders Work?
WiFi is a part of life. There’s a good chance that you’re reading this article on your phone or a computer. WiFi is great as long as your connection is strong. But when your connection is weak, you can use a WiFi extender to increase your WiFi range and signal strength.
What Does a WiFi Extender Do?
A WiFi extender, like RangeXTD, repeats the wireless signal coming from your router to other areas of your home to extend your own coverage. You can think of a WiFi extender as a sort of bridge that extends your strong WiFi signal to other areas of the home to eliminate dead zones and signal drops.
When you install your extender, you’ll have to connect to the extender router name, which will be different from your regular home router.
If you fail to connect your extender router name, you will still be connected to your home router and not benefit from the stronger signal.
How Do WiFi Extenders Work?
Every router has unlimited range, and this range will vary depending on several factors, including:
- Distance from the router
- Obstacles in the way of the router
Since most devices will be on the same spectrum, there can be a lot of devices using the same band.
For example, if you live in an apartment complex, you may have 50 people on a 2.4 GHz band and two people on the 5 GHz band. Since there are so many connections connecting to the same band, this can cause interference and weaken the signal strength from your router.
But when you use a WiFi extender, you can rebroadcast your signal when it is still strong to allow for better overall coverage of your home’s WiFi.
Your rebroadcasted signal will be on its own router, so you effectively have two routers in their home where you can connect to for optimal signal strength.
A booster will help in those times when you want to eliminate dead zones in your house, or even enjoy your Internet outside. The issue is that every home doesn’t offer an open floor plan, so there are many obstacles in the way of your signal.
This is why people choose to purchase a WiFi extender to reach those corners of the house where the Internet may either have a bad signal or drop altogether.
Now that you know how a WiFi extender works, let’s take some time to learn about the features and specs to look for when purchasing your own booster.
Benefits of a WiFi Range Extender
There are a lot reasons you may want a range extender. If you’re on the fence and not sure if one of these devices is a good fit for you, a booster will do you good if you experience:
- No signal. If you walk around your home, do you lose your Internet signal? A lot of areas in a home are prime spots for signal loss. Bathrooms are notorious for signal loss as are far ends of the home. i know that in one bathroom in my house, I always lose connection.
- Slow speeds. Where do you spend most of your time in a home? If you have a ranch, you may have a strong signal and fast speeds. But if you have a multi-level home, the upper or lower level may have slow speeds or a weak signal. These slow speeds may mean that you can’t FaceTime someone in your bedroom or stream on a certain level of the home without buffering.
- Lag. Gamers that play a lot of online games with multiple players will know that lag can lead to a death or a raid wipe. Lag, or when you’re behind the server’s actual speed, doesn’t allow you to perform actions quickly enough. A stronger, more reliable signal reduces lag and allows for faster gameplay.
For most people, Internet signal strength is even more important than speed because speeds are only good when they’re consistent. And if your signal is weak, you’ll maximize your Internet speeds.
FAQs Before Buying a WiFi Extender
How Do WiFi Range Extenders Work in Large Homes?
Great. In fact, an extender is ideal for larger homes because they will broadcast your signal in a 360-degree radius. The radius enables you to extend your signal and connection strength to a second and third floor of the home.
Can a WiFi Extender Increase Streaming Quality?
Yes and no. If your streaming quality is bad because of slow speeds in general, your quality will not improve. If you’re using a TV stick and the signal is weak, the extender will reduce buffering and may even allow you to stream in a higher quality video.
Will a WiFi Extender Increase My Internet Speeds?
Yes, if your weak signal is causing a degradation in speeds. In areas where your speeds are already high and your signal is strong, you’re not going to experience an increase in speed. If you have a 25 Mbps connection, do not expect an extender to push your speeds above this range.
Where is the Optimal Location for an Extender?
Every manufacturer will provide you with instructions on how to best install your booster. The normal location for an extender is half-way between your router and your designed location. You need to make sure that the extender device is able to receive a steady connection to extend the signal properly.
Will a WiFi Extender Work with a Mobile Device?
Yes. If you connect to your home’s WiFi with your mobile device or smartphone, you’ll be able to enjoy stronger connections and reliable speeds. Any device, from a gaming console to a Smart TV or Fire stick, will benefit from one of these devices as long as it connects to the Internet.
But you need to be sure to connect to the right SSID and not your router’s SSID.
A general rule of thumb is that you want to connect to the extender when it is closer to your device than the router. You may even find that the extender offers enough coverage to adequately be used through your entire home.
If you like this article, be sure to check out other great content on inc500conference.com.
Other Products Customers like
There are no comments yet.
I am a tech enthusiast who loves to try and test new innovating products that can make life easier. Invest your money smartly and make your life better!
- Different Types of AC units – Understanding them all Posted on April 16, 2021
- How to Keep House Cool without AC Posted on April 15, 2021
- The Importance Of Keeping House Cool In Extreme Heat Posted on April 14, 2021
- Why Is My Room So Hot? Posted on April 13, 2021
- How To Reset Your Sleep Schedule Posted on April 13, 2021
- Is Sleeping with a Fan On Bad for You Posted on April 12, 2021
- Side Effects of Sleeping with a Fan Posted on April 11, 2021
- Best Weightlifting Tracker Posted on April 10, 2021
- How to Cool Down in Bed: Get the Best Sleep of your Life Posted on April 10, 2021
- Best Way to Track Workouts Posted on April 9, 2021